Slowly but surely my green lawn is turning brown. The regular rains we had in May and June are few and far between, and the healthy grass is giving way to sand burrs and goat heads in the sandy soil. Everything I read about sand burrs says the best way to deal with them is to have a healthy lawn so the weeds don’t have a place to grow. I see several spiritual lessons for Christ-followers in what’s happening with my lawn:
- We need regular watering (Bible Study & worship) to stay healthy.
- When we stop growing in the Lord, weeds (sin) begin to germinate and grow.
- When grass is very dry, even a good watering doesn’t make much difference. In very dry conditions, even Christ-followers who once were vibrant will need to be watered multiple times to start greening up again.
- Once sand burrs get a stronghold, they begin to take over (back-sliding believers begin to rationalize sin).
- Regular watering (Bible study & worship) and fertilizer with weed control (grace dispensed by God’s Holy Spirit) is the answer to restoring health. In fact, improving the soil by adding nutrients (transformation) results in building a strong healthy lawn year-round.
“But the seed in the good soil, these are the ones who have heard the word in an honest and good heart, and hold it fast, and bear fruit with perseverance.” Luke 8:15